Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Berry Pickin'!

Berry Pickin'!

For three years I've had this giant tree by my house.  For three years I've cussed the purple stains on the sidewalk and the berry goo that gets on my car and tracked all over.  Then a thought occurred to me...what are those berries anyway?  So I did some asking.

Turns out, they were mulberries. And turns out...they are nummy!!  I knocked on my neighbors door (a neighbor I am ashamed to tell you I'd never spoken to) and asked if she would mind if my family and I picked some mulberries.  She was thrilled to let us, and even invited us to pick walnuts from another tree she had in her yard in the fall.  Free walnuts and berries?  Yes, please!

Why am I telling you this?  Well, here's where the family thing comes in. 

#1. My kids LOVED picking berries
#2. My kids LOVED eating berries
#3. Mom LOVED the free price...and the free berries I froze which will later turn into nearly-free jam
#4. We got out of our shell and met our neighbors...a rare thing.

In Salt Lake we are fortunate enough to have fruit trees all around us.  Chances are, someone in your neighborhood has a fruit tree.  Chances are also good that this tree yields more fruit than that person can handle, and he/she would be more than happy to have you come pick some.  It keeps their yard and sidewalk free of fallen, rotting fruit and makes everyone feel good about sharing.

Berry pickin' is a fun, free activity that gets neighbors out of their isolated lives and interacting.  So go on...knock on your neighbors door!

As a BONUS family activity...make jam, pie or some sort of dessert out of the berries and bring some to your generous neighbor who shared their fruit tree with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment